If this check engine light remains on for 20 seconds and then blinks for 10 seconds when the engine is not running, it indicates that the vehicle is not ready for an emission control system inspection/maintenance test.
If the check engine light will remain constant without blinking
- An emission control system malfunction has been detected. Check the fuel-filler cap. If the fuel-filler cap is loose or missing, tighten or install the cap and continue to drive the vehicle. The light should turn off after a few driving trips. If the light does not turn off after a few driving trips, bring your vehicle to Bill’s Auto Service for further diagnosis and repair.
If the check engine light continues to blink
- An engine misfire has been detected which may damage the emission control system.
How to reduce or avoid emission control system damage:
- Do not drive at speeds above 45 MPH (72 km/h).
- Avoid hard acceleration or deceleration.
- Avoid steep uphill grades.
- If possible, reduce the amount of cargo being hauled or towed.